As the seasons change, my VPK class and I have been discussing the theme of "Differences". I like to play a game with them during circle time where I have two people (including myself) stand in front of the class and the other students have to tell how the two people are the same and how they are different. Also, we are reading "Ant and Grasshopper" by Luli Gray. This timeless story is about a hardworking ant and a carefree grasshopper. As the seasons change, the ant works hard storing food for the winter while the grasshopper has fun. When winter arrives, the grasshopper has no food or shelter and begs the ant to take him in. The ant refuses but later finds grasshopper on his doorstep covered in snow. He takes him in and gives him something to eat. As they sit in front of the fire, they begin to discuss why they admire each other and a friendship begins.
I love this book because it involves numbers and seasons changing. It emphasizes the importance of working hard so you can play later and friendship. This book incorporates so many lessons: math, science, social/emotional development, etc. This book has been perfect for our current theme!
No comments:
Post a Comment