I chose this birthing experience because at that moment, my life changed for the better. This is when I discovered who I really was. My strengths, weaknesses, ambitions, my mindset before and after her birth, what really mattered in life, etc. I got pregnant with my first born 2 months after graduating high school and it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. My first born MADE me grow up and realize that every decision I made from this moment forward affected her and I had no choice but to get it together. I became serious about school and ended up transferring from my local community college to one of the universities in town with a 3.09 GPA and received 2 scholarships and 3 grants towards my education and..."the rest is history"!
Pregnancy and birth are beautiful experiences and one I wish all women could experience at least once in their lives. Child development begins at birth with the developing embryo. Working in the early childhood field, I am very familiar with the understanding that certain circumstances pertaining to pregnancy and birth can affect child development such as premature birth, the child being born with various physical ailments, the child experiencing trauma in the womb or during birth, etc.
I actually googled "birthing practices around the world" to see what the Internet had to offer and found an intriguing article (10 Strange Customs Surrounding Birth and Babies) at http://listverse.com/2013/12/25/10-strange-customs-surrounding-birth-and-babies/ which included different customs surrounding birth. One birthing custom I thought was interesting was from Great Britain and is known as "Groaning cheese and Groaning cake". In this custom, new fathers had to offer a wheel of cheese and cake for the family. The "groaning" in Groaning cheese and cake came from the complaints and pains associated with the delivery of the child. The cake and cheese were part of the celebration of the new child and were eaten as part of a meal. The doctor would cut the cheese and cake after the birth of the child and it would be eaten by everyone who came to see the new parents and extend happy wishes. The similarities with this custom and my experience is the celebration that comes with the successful birth of a child. However, the differences are obvious! It is not very common (to my knowledge) that American fathers practice such a custom!
I actually googled "birthing practices around the world" to see what the Internet had to offer and found an intriguing article (10 Strange Customs Surrounding Birth and Babies) at http://listverse.com/2013/12/25/10-strange-customs-surrounding-birth-and-babies/ which included different customs surrounding birth. One birthing custom I thought was interesting was from Great Britain and is known as "Groaning cheese and Groaning cake". In this custom, new fathers had to offer a wheel of cheese and cake for the family. The "groaning" in Groaning cheese and cake came from the complaints and pains associated with the delivery of the child. The cake and cheese were part of the celebration of the new child and were eaten as part of a meal. The doctor would cut the cheese and cake after the birth of the child and it would be eaten by everyone who came to see the new parents and extend happy wishes. The similarities with this custom and my experience is the celebration that comes with the successful birth of a child. However, the differences are obvious! It is not very common (to my knowledge) that American fathers practice such a custom!
I enjoy while I am reading your blog and how you remember the time exactly the hour and the minute when you had your baby
ReplyDeleteYou supposed to be prod of your self because your first baby make continue feel responsible, you decide to continue your studying and having great GPA.
As you mention in Great Britain they celebrate the new baby we celebrate the new in my country Sudan too at the first day we have to slaughter sheep, make the house looked very beautiful, the second celebration in the seven day the day you give your baby a name you all the family to come and eat it is a big celebration.
Hi there! I too enjoyed your post. I think my first was the hardest on my as it was for you! Of course we are younger and naive and really don't know what to expect. I too can remember the exact time of each of my child's births. It really is such a special memorable moment and one that I will NEVER forget with each of my children. It seems that whether it's your first or third that moment of their birth is truly incredible. I agree that every woman should experience it cuz it's truly an experience like no other in life!!
ReplyDeleteI was 20 when my first daughter was born and I can relate the feeling of growing up quickly. Once my daughter was born, I knew that everything that I did affected her and that I needed to make good choices. Like you I ended up going back to school and I think that we both (my daughter and I) turned out okay! Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDelete