Sunday, October 26, 2014

Issues and Trends: Change, Contexts, Consequences, Constants Revisited

In this post, I am supposed to identify three consequences of learning about the international early childhood field for my professional and personal development, but through the research I have conducted from various resources, I haven’t found any “consequences” of learning but more similarities. In my review of an array of articles, journals, and podcasts, I found that my perspective is similar to other early childhood professionals. In the podcast, Early Childhood Education: Balancing Expectations and What Young Learners Really Need, Wendy Ostroff (a cognitive psychology, child development, and metacognition expert and author of the 2012 ASCD book, Understanding How Young Children Learn: Bringing the Science of Child Development to the Classroom) comments that developmental scientists have found that " 'formal academic activities' can harm learning in young learners...academic-based early learning programs can harm learning." I had always agreed with a play-based curriculum was more effective than an academic-based one but I had no idea it would hinder overall development. As a parent, you want your child(ren) to have the best from the beginning but from an early childhood professional viewpoint, letting children be children and explore the world as they see fit is the best parenting one can give! In this insight, I cannot see the “consequence of learning” but the similarities. 

Another resource I found interesting in regards to the early childhood field is the Topics in Early Childhood Blog. Previously, I explored this link but scanned the information; however, on this particular review of the blog, I read a post entitled, In Touch with a Child's Perspective. This post was about elementary teachers (as a part of their teaching certification coursework) should have extensive exposure to child development training as with early childhood certifications. "Understanding child development, which I think is key to working with children, is essential for all teachers.  Just like early development, middle childhood has its own developmental stages, as well, and can help a teacher respond appropriately to all the children she may teach each day." (Funk, 2013) I relate this blog posting as a new insight about issues in the early childhood field that I gained this week because in order to offer children birth - 8 years old high quality, equity, and excellence in early care and education, one must be have extensive knowledge in child development. "I have personally observed over the years how an adult with a strong knowledge about a child’s developmental stages, approaches the child differently.  The adult seems to understand that some behaviors, while not necessarily acceptable, are typical for children at that age.  That knowledge tempers the responses and helps the adult deal appropriately with any situation.  This same principle is true with comments and discussions that occur with young children."

Under the Coordination and Integration tab of the Early Childhood section on the United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization website, "Cross-sectoral coordination is difficult, especially at the national level. It is one of the main challenges facing governments of both developed and developing countries trying to promote a holistic approach to early childhood. Responses vary and some countries have sought to remove the problem by integrating sectoral responsibilities into a single ministry." With this new found information, I have a better understanding in knowing that other governments, on a national level, experience difficulties promoting and implementing quality standards among the early childhood field. This, also, highlights the similarities with the international early childhood field and the one we experience here at home. 

Through this journey on exploring the international early childhood field, I have found that early learning sectors in other parts of the world experience the same hindrances as we do. With a service as vital as early childhood, how is it that one still cannot figure out how to break the barriers of accessibility, affordability, awareness, and equity and excellence for children, their families, and early childhood professionals? I believe one goal should be to reshape the core of the early childhood field as a whole. Instead of having policymakers make decisions about our early learners, we NEED to have professionals whom have “matured” in this field and can offer invaluable insights about what needs to be done in order to bring light to and put the early childhood field at the forefront of local, state, and national government, making decisions and creating policies for young learners, their families, and other early childhood professionals.

References

The Whole Child Podcast. Early Childhood Education: Balancing Expectations and What 

       Young Learners Really Need. Retrieved on October 5, 2014 from 

       http://www.wholechildeducation.org/podcast/early-childhood-education-balancing-     
       

       expectations-and-young-learners-needs

Funk, J. (2013, November 8). In Touch with a Child's Perspective. Retrieved October 12, 2014, from 

        http://eceducationblog.wordpress.com/page/2/


United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. Early Childhood Care and Education webpage. 

         Retrieved on October 19, 2014 (http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/strengthening-
        education-systems/early-childhood/


2 comments:

  1. Hi Monique,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and views regarding the topics throughout this course. Thank you for sharing your resources and how its helped you see the issues in a new light. The resources you have shared through this post are an eye opener to what early childhood stands for and why as a professional I want to continue to fight for things to change. I want young children, their families, and early childhood professionals learn and grow and gain knowledge that will help support their learning and be successful within their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique,

    I think that is great that you listed some additional resources. It just crazy to me and like you had mentioned as vital as early childhood programs are how no one has come up with a way to break the barriers of accessibility, affordability, awareness and equity and excellence for children, families and the early childhood professionals

    ReplyDelete