On the website earlychildhoodnews.com, I explored different links outside of the "Articles" section (which I normally go to)! On my journey, I found additional information pertaining to the equity and excellence in early care and education. One link that I was particularly found interesting is the Topics in Early Childhood Blog. Previously, I explored this link but scanned the information; however, on this particular review of the blog, I read a post entitled, In Touch with a Child's Perspective.
This post was about elementary teachers (as a part of their teaching certification coursework) should have extensive exposure to child development training as with early childhood certifications. "Understanding child development, which I think is key to working with children, is essential for all teachers. Just like early development, middle childhood has its own developmental stages, as well, and can help a teacher respond appropriately to all the children she may teach each day." (Funk, 2013) I relate this blog posting as a new insight about issues in the early childhood field that I gained this week because in order to offer children birth - 8 years old high quality, equity, and excellence in early care and education, one must be have extensive knowledge in child development. "I have personally observed over the years how an adult with a strong knowledge about a child’s developmental stages, approaches the child differently. The adult seems to understand that some behaviors, while not necessarily acceptable, are typical for children at that age. That knowledge tempers the responses and helps the adult deal appropriately with any situation. This same principle is true with comments and discussions that occur with young children."
References
Funk, J. (2013, November 8). In Touch with a Child's Perspective. Retrieved October 12, 2014, from http://eceducationblog.wordpress.com/page/2/
Hi Monique,
ReplyDeleteI agree elementary teachers should have child development course work and training because it is essential for all educators. This will give them a better understanding the each development stage including middle childhood because these years are when they will experience and will give them a better insight of stages of development in those years. Great Post!
Hi Monique
ReplyDeleteI also agree elementary teachers should have child development course work because children don't start learning when they come to kindergarten. Some of the programs I work with have wanted to hire elementary teachers, but my agency requires them to have at least 30 hours in early childhood education because we want teachers to have developmentally appropriate expectations.
Hi Monique,
ReplyDeleteFirst great information. I also agree that all teachers not just elementary teachers should have training on child development. I feel you don't truly understand that child unless you know why they are acting the way they are. I feel the only way to understand that child is to learn about how a child grow and develop by going through the stage of development as well as the ages that the child develop skills and knowledge. I have found that I learn something new every day about the development of a child. Knowledge and information is always going to be updated and it is up to the teachers to get that knowledge. Thanks for sharing.