Saturday, January 9, 2016

What Resonates With You About Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy?

Part 1: Why did you choose this specialization?

"The commonalities between all five sectors (research/academia, child care, head start, health and well-being, and public early childhood education)  focus on the health, well-being, and education of the children and their families. The focus is further sustained by conducting research on children’s development and learning; adequately preparing early childhood professionals to support the children and their families; designing child care programs and curriculum that include all children (birth through third grade) and follow state standards and regulations; and ensuring that all child care is of quality, affordable, and easy to access (Laureate Education, 2011)".

I chose to focus my Master's degree on Public Policy and Advocacy because of my genuine passion for the mind, body, and spirit of children and their families. As a parent and early childhood professional, I am in the position to observe both aspects of the field. This gives me the opportunity to experience early childhood from a parent perspective but be educationally-equipped to find solutions to common problems that children and families face. I found that the more information I obtain, the better I am able to help the parents that I interact with. In continuing my education, I wanted to obtained higher learning in an area that went beyond the child care center/classroom. I wanted to get understanding on a state/government level so that I become a more efficient resource and can bring even more information to the children, parents, employees, and the community.

                                                       Image result for early childhood education quotes


Part 2: Advocates are essential in the early childhood field because “You are influential with your family and friends. They now and trust you and what you tell them about early childhood education and care may be more powerful for them than what they read in the newspaper or see on television. You are influential in your community. The people on your street, in your neighborhood, in your town know you. You are their expert on early childhood education and care, they trust you. You are influential in your local government. You know the friends, families, and associates of the members of your school board, your municipal council, and your state legislature. You represent the opinions and votes of those who elected them. You are as important, or more important, to them than any expert (Feeney, 2010 p. 451-452)”.

                                                  Image result for early childhood education quotes



Part 3: Three goals that I hope to learn about public policy and advocacy are:

1. To learn and understand the research conducted to which early childhood policies and best practices stem from.

2. To learn how to effectively advocate for children and their families.

3.  To learn what is truly at the core of the lack of interest from policy makers, funding sources, and government who disregard the vital part early childhood education plays in the healthy development of every child.

                                             Image result for early childhood education quotes

References 

Feeney, S. (2010). Who Am I in the Lives of Children?: An Introduction to Early 
Childhood Education (eighth ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson 
Education, Inc.

Laureate Education, Inc. (2011) [Multimedia program]. Sectors of the Early Childhood Field.
Retrieved from http://mym.cdn.laureatemedia.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6005/04/mm/Sectors/Main.html

No comments:

Post a Comment