Saturday, July 12, 2014

Relationship Reflection

Relationships are so vital to me because of the closeness, security, and support that such bonds bring to my life. We live in a social world; so it is impossible to live life without others and form life-long bonds with others. I can remember viewing a multimedia presentation about early childhood and infancy. In this presentation, it spoke of how important touch and "parent-infant bond" is to a premature infants. Feeling the touch and warmth of another human being does wonders to their development and overall survival.
One of the most important relationships I have is with my husband and our 3 daughters. My husband is my foundation! I KNOW I am limitless with him in my corner! Our relationship was destined from the beginning. When we met, I didn't know he was my other half but 3 years later I am proud to say he is definitely the other part of who I am, my growth, and my achievements!


My daughters are my passion and motivation! They are the reason why I HAVE TO BE THE BEST I CAN BE! When I see their smiling faces and feel their arms around me, I know I must keep moving forward to give them the best life and opportunities possible.



My relationship with my sister is part of who I am today. She knows who I am and where I have been. Although, we are 3 years and 1 day apart, she is definitely my twin!

All of these personal connections developed positively through building trust, communication and being genuine. The most essential aspect to any relationship is open, positive communication and being genuine. With all three of these bonds, I can truly be myself (the good, the bad, and the ugly). My sister and my husband have seen me in my most vulnerable moments in my life. It is my personal opinion, in order to have an authentic relationship, one must not be afraid to expose who they truly are (to a certain extent) and allow others to see their vulnerability.

In my experience in developing and maintaining relationships, over time, I understand that people are who they are and you cannot change them. We all have something we are dealing with (either from our past or present) that has an affect on our personalities and no matter how I want the best for another, it cannot happen until they want the best for themselves. One thing I have learned is you have to allow people the freedom to be authentic in order to maintain a positive relationship. When you try to control a person instead of accepting him/her in their true nature, then finding and having that life-long connection is inaccessible. Although, I am close with the people mentioned in this post, doesn't mean I agree with all of their decisions or ways of thinking. But, I accept them for who they are and love them in spite of.

Building trust, open communication, and being genuine in how you approach the other person(s) in your partnerships are some special characteristics that help to develop and maintain such relationships.

It is my experiences with such relationships, that impact my work as an effective early childhood professional because I have enhanced my ability to meet the child as well as their family on THEIR level. Through the close, personal connections that I have with those around me, I have learned to accept people for who they are and I am humble enough to communicate with others; no matter their background, educational level, or ethnicity. We are all human and have the ability to teach and learn from each other (especially children).

No comments:

Post a Comment