Saturday, October 24, 2015

Professional Hopes and Goals

When I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds and a goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice, I hope to fully embody a quote I found during this class.
      
 "…to be the grain of sand that forms the core of the pearl, you must learn the gentle art of using disagreement about educational practice to your advantage…and you must choose when to stand firm and when not to. Not every issue is worth fighting; not every battle can be won. As an ethical professional, you may have hard choices to make. We urge you stand up for children and to make their well-being your primary concern; to say no when asked to do what is wrong; to insist on speaking what you know to be true; to risk making yourself unpopular; and to give others the courage to do the same. It’s a lot to ask. But it’s the right thing to do, and children need you to do it (Morrison, 2009, p. 17; Feeney, 2010, 452-453)”.


I would like to wholeheartedly thank  Dr. D and all of my colleagues who have participated, given phenomenal advice and insight, and learned with me along this journey of Perspective Diversity and Equity. This had been an excellent group of scholars!!!!

However, I would like to extend a special "THANK YOU" to Kate Koontz and Salesha Baston for your endless contribution to my posts throughout this course!!! :)

Monique


References

Feeney, S. (2010). Who Am I in the Lives of Children?: An Introduction to Early 
           Childhood Education (eighth ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson    

           Education, Inc.

Morrison, G. (2009). Early Childhood Education Today (eleventh ed.). Upper 

          Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.



1 comment:

  1. Monique,
    I have enjoyed reading your blogs over the last eight weeks. Your quote made me think about the reason I choose to work with children. I wanted to be their voice when others weren't listening to them. My three years of working in early childhood education has really opened up my eyes to the needs of children. Unfortunately, I have had to report a parent for suspected physical abuse. It was hard but I had to do what was best for the child. It felt good to be the child's voice, support them, and keep them safe. Good luck with your next course!

    Salesha

    ReplyDelete