Saturday, November 7, 2015

Communication Skills: Language, Nonverbal, Listening

The show that I chose to use to complete this post was: Sesame Street: Animals and Nature: Firefly Show. I chose this particular show because it incorporates a variety of characters (humans, puppets, and cartoons) and thought it would be exciting to watch a children's show where I couldn't read the lips (the puppets), only go by the characters nonverbal behavior. I thought it would be intriguing to try to figure out a scene's plot with only puppets communicating with each other! With props used by the puppets as well as the hand gestures of the people on the show, it portrayed an unspoken understanding of what was being discussed in a particular scene. For example, some of the characters would point to the screen which I assumed them trying to communicate with the television audience. The characters' relationships are based on cooperation and togetherness. In every scene, there are at least two characters whether it be a human and a puppet or two puppets or two humans always communicating with each other. They seem to ask questions, offer insight, and try to solve a problem together. 

                                            Image result for sesame street firefly show

 It was hard to understand their feeling without words but by their nonverbal behavior, the characters seemed to be happy, engaged in active listening, and respectful of those around them. In certain scenes, the puppets seemed perplexed because they could not find the firefly; however, the assumptions that I made about the characters and plot based on the ways in which I interpreted the communication I observed were accurate. The show did contain various scenes where they involved the television audience as well as depicted togetherness and cooperation. 

   Image result for sesame street firefly show   Image result for sesame street firefly show

I do not  believe my assumptions would be more correct if I watched a show I was familiar with and/or different characters.

2 comments:

  1. Communication has so many components and non-verbal behaviors are one very important part. The show you chose seems to have a great mixture of gestures and facial expressions to communicate between puppets. These are great examples for children to watch so they get an model of how to communicate and problem solve. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique,

    You took on an incredibly challenging task choosing a show with puppets as the main characters. Although they can gesture and move, they do not show facial expressions, their mouths do not move, and there is not as much natural movement as there would be with a show with human characters. I am impressed that you chose this show, and that you were still able to determine some nonverbal communication from these characters.

    Meagan

    ReplyDelete