Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Hypothetical Family Situation

Part 1: Who Are You?

Hypothetical Family Situation: I am a English native speaking, 17 years old woman. My child is a 6 months old infant who was born at 24 weeks with gastroschisis (an abdominal wall defect like omphalocele in which the anterior abdomen does not close properly allowing the intestines to protrude outside the fetus) which was corrected and is currently experiencing signs of developmental delay due to being born premature. As of a month ago, she stopped eating and is now being fed from a tube. She has now learned to turnover but has yet to crawl, coo, pull up, or sit up on her own. She does have stimulation of her extremities and communicates through crying and smiling. I live with my  60 years old aunt and uncle (who suffers from COPD) in a middle class neighborhood and my daughter's father passed away from Sickle Cell complications a month ago. I have several friends and family to support me with my daughter so that I can graduate high school and hopefully attend college.

My aunt cares for my daughter while I attend school but doesn't provide any cognitive or physical stimulation. I have been advised from my pediatrician to begin researching child care centers so that my infant will be able to socialize with others her age and in return gain certain developmental skills that she is currently missing. I need a facility that can handle his condition efficiently. As stated, she is eating from a feeding tube and can only turnover. She does not communicate verbally outside of crying and smiling. While my pediatrician has been a wealth of information, I have found it difficult to find outside care for her. When I find a facility that meets my needs, they are full and those who have spots available aren't equipped to provide care for my daughter's condition. A center that can provide Health, Early learning and Development as well as Family Leadership and Support would be a great resource for someone in my position. I receive public assistance/disability for my daughter but that is a journey within itself but it helps to pay for all my daughter's care (including medial supplies and doctor visits). I feel as if I am in need of a Family Advocate...one who can connect me to the resources we so desperately need. I am exhausted and running out of answers. What should I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment