This is just one example of how my mother advocates for those who cannot help themselves. And by her life-long example, I found that when became an early childhood professional (and in life), it was my purpose to help beyond the classroom as many children and families that I connected with. I realized from my mother's examples that people are brought into your life for you to encourage and empower them to make positive life-changing decisions. This will always be part of what fuels my passion and work as an early childhood professional.
A space for ideas, concepts, beliefs, and perspectives on educating early learners.
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Personal Advocacy Reflection
I would like to tell the story of my mother and how her selfless actions have encouraged me to be selfless in my dedication as an early childhood professional. Throughout my life, my mother has not only been an advocate on my behalf but so many others that have come into her life. Being a severe asthmatic since I was 14 months old (being hospitalized 46 times before my 17th birthday and on life-support four times), I KNOW the only reason why I am alive is because of my mother advocating on my behalf. But, one particular story that comes to mind of my mother advocating for others...is of a man who worked for my mother as her transportation specialist for her company. When he was hired for his position, he was a little overweight but reasonably able bodied and seemed as if he could do his job. But, after a while, she started receiving complaints from clients saying that he would fall asleep at red lights or at stop signs or in the car within 5 minutes of sitting. She investigated the complaints and questioned him about it. He admitted to it and began telling her other symptoms that he was experiencing. She researched his symptoms and suggested he see a doctor. He had no insurance. She took him to apply for medicaid and walked him through the whole process (including sitting with him during his medicaid eligibility interview). Once he received health insurance, she made him an appointment, attended the appointment with him, and he was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. He had no idea. I still remember her telling me that the doctor told him during his appointment that his condition was so bad...he was surprised he was still alive. After receiving his diagnosis, she helped him get his CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) device and now 20+ years later he is still thanking my mother for saving his life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Monique
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story! It is easy to see where your passion comes from. When we have living examples in our lives, those are best lessons! My mother was a wonderful mother and wife and my husband tells me I am all the time. I told him I wasn't how to be a good wife and mom, I was shown!
She sounds like a very compassionate remarkable woman. Truly a great example of advocacy and someone who "goes above and beyond" the call of duty.
ReplyDelete