Thursday, April 14, 2016

Profile of a Volunteer

For this post, I was asked to develop a profile of a volunteer, in which you describe the work of someone who has impacted the lives of other through volunteerism. I could make it personal by highlighting my own volunteer efforts, those of someone close to me, or describe the work of someone whom I do not know personally but whom I admire greatly. I searched within my life and the life of others and decided that I would take this post a different way! Instead of recognizing the volunteer efforts of a particular individual, I wanted to show appreciation for the work of an organization.

                                               Image result for volunteer basecamp

Volunteer BaseCamp is one of the world's longest running and most affordable international volunteer programs that started with three friends (Jim, Dave, and Noelle) who wanted to set about establishing a system and an overseas infrastructure that would help to connect and recruit volunteers with placements in a wide range of positions. On volunteerbasecamp.com, I found Early Childhood Education Volunteer section where ECE volunteers work with young children worldwide in an informal setting helping with learning fundamentals in day cares, orphanages and community centers. "These placements are perfect for students or graduates from an Early Childhood Education program and often can be incorporated into one's academic program. That said, these organizations are often overwhelmed simply managing the day to day needs of the children. So, even a volunteer with no background or training can be of considerable help in coordinating educational games and activities for the children." (http://www.volunteerbasecamp.com/Volunteer-Abroad-Placements/Early-Childhood-Education-Volunteer).

Opportunities range from being a Daycare Teaching Assistant Volunteer with the Salvation Army in San Jose, Costa Rica to a Preschool Teacher with Ebenezer Orphanage Center in Arusha, Tanzania in East Africa.

                         Image result for volunteer basecamp early childhood volunteer
                                             Daycare Teaching Assistant Volunteer: Salvation Army: San Jose, Costa Rica











Image result for volunteer basecamp early childhood volunteer
Preschool Teacher Volunteer: Ebenezer Orphanage Center: Arusha, Tanzania, East Africa
I feel Volunteer BaseCamp and the international work that they conduct within the early childhood field has positively impacted others because these volunteers have taken the time to leave their home countries, possibly learn a new language, travel to a foreign land, and volunteer within their (foreign country) early childhood programs. As we know, these countries, their children and families are in such a great need and I think it is commendable that these individuals take advocacy to another level! I believe it is something to be said for those who forgo the comforts of their homeland for the promotion and advocacy of children and families in another continent!

Reference

Volunteer BaseCamp. (n.d.). Early Childhood Education Volunteer. Retrieved on April 14, 2016 from http://www.volunteerbasecamp.com/Volunteer-Abroad-Placements/Early-Childhood-Education-Volunteer


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful organization and a great way to globally make an impact in early childhood education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monique
    Thanks for the great example of an organization that is making a difference in the field of early childhood. Many times we focus on the ones that are in the spotlight, but there are so many in the backfield that are also making positive difference in the lives of so many children and families and even in other countries.

    ReplyDelete