Thursday, April 7, 2016

Using Social Media to Get Connected

I will be the first to admit that I have real love/hate relationship with social media! It can be used to connect with others, inform the community about upcoming events, form social clubs, and even advocate for causes that are important. BUT.... It has completely changed the way we communicate as human beings. I am more so talking about the people you see in the waiting rooms, restaurants, grocery store lines, and even in the early childhood classroom who are so consumed by what is going on with "social media" that they are oblivious to the world around them. Social media has gotten so bad in early childhood classrooms, I have seen centers make employees sign Facebook/Social Network/Cell Phone Policy statements. As you can see, I have my own personal hangups about it but I am very aware that it can be quite beneficial when used correctly!

                               

                                 

I try to reframe from using social media (although Youtube can teach you how to do anything in the world!) because I feel it has created a thin line between privacy and growth (whether professionally or personally). It my recent employment opportunities, the early childhood centers that I have worked at used Facebook as a means to connect with parents and the community and make everyone aware of various events concerning the center. But, I became a little disturbed at my last place of employment, when parents began to use the center's Facebook page for everything other than what was going on at the center! Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube are several social media tools that could possibly lend themselves to effective advocacy. For example, I could use Youtube or even Twitter to share the results of various surveys/polls conducted within a specific community on a particular issue.

                                   

These tools are excellent to educate and inspire others in my advocacy work because I can fully highlight and express my objective, research, results, and face-to-face conversations with influentials. I understand social media allows me to reach a substantial amount of people but what other ways can I use it to promote my advocacy objective which is to: Reduce childhood poverty and improve optimal development of the child and family in the county of Gwinnett, Georgia (where I live) by offering Parent Programs in ALL early care and education facilities that assist in helping families achieve educational/employment goals through support and resources?



2 comments:

  1. Monique
    You are so right that social media has gotten out of control! There seems to no longer be personal interaction, it's all texting, emailing, skyping and such. In the schools they have begun to allow the children to bring their phones in order to access the websites for school purposes. I believe this saves the schools money because they no longer have to provide computers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that people are too consumed with social media. They use it inappropriately and at inappropriate times. I also wanted to comment on one of your photos. The first picture was really interesting because social media has replaced how we use to connect with the world. It has advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately we will use advocacy methods the are the least costly and can reach more people.

    ReplyDelete