Friday, May 13, 2016

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally

Three international organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me and why I chose them...

(1) World Forum Foundation

                                                    

Why I Chose this Organization: I was intrigued by this international organization because of its core philosophy which is "...Children. Change. Relationships. Spirit. Differences. All who care about the well-being of the world’s children are invited to participate. Leadership is collaborative, globally diverse, provided by a multitude of diverse volunteers and a small, dedicated staff" (https://worldforumfoundation.org/about-us/). In further embarking on leadership during this course and what it means to me, I wanted to highlight this group of individuals for their work with children, families, and the early childhood field and significance that they place on leadership.


Job Opportunities: In researching employment opportunities, I couldn't find a specific position but I did find an interesting volunteer availability. A Global Leader is one who engages "in a two year program, during which time they develop and implement action-oriented projects in their own communities aimed at improving the lives of young children. A carefully designed curriculum helps participants develop leadership capacity and effective advocacy skills, and gain a deeper understanding of early childhood research, practice and global issues. Through participation in three face-to-face meetings as well as ongoing communication" (https://worldforumfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Global-Leaders-for-Young-Children-2016-18.pdf).  These leaders develop a strong network of regional and international peers. Some of the skills needed to fulfill this role are: Experience working with young children and families; leadership potential in advocating for young children, particularly those at highest risk; knowledge of the policy context for young children in their own country; strong commitment to improving conditions for young children globally and understanding other cultures; commitment to develop and implement an action-oriented project in their own country or community in order to raise awareness about a key early childhood issue or to promote quality early childhood services; commitment to remain in the program for the full two years; and fluency in English. However, preference is given to those who are active in a professional early childhood association or other related group; or affiliated with a university, government agency, or national or international NGO.


(2) World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP)

                                              The Official Website of OMEP – World Organization for Early Childhood Education

Why I Chose this Organization: The World Organization for Early Childhood Education is "an international, non-governmental and non-profit organization concerned with all aspects of early childhood education and care (ECEC) who defends and promotes the rights of the child to education and care worldwide and supports activities which improve accessibility to high quality education and care as well as currently established in over 70 countries and is represented at meetings of UNESCO, UNICEF, and other international organizations with similar aims" (http://www.worldomep.org/en/about-omep-2/). 

Job Opportunities: I could not find any employment opportunities for this particular organization but found that with the work conducted towards the early childhood field, they were worth mentioning.


(3) International Step-By-Step Association (ISSA)

                                                        ISSA
Why I Chose this Organization: ISSA is a successful "learning community where members share their knowledge and work in order to develop best practices in Early Childhood Development. ISSA members are the leading experts in Early Childhood across Europe and Central Asia and strive to remain the best informed and the most innovative specialists in the field...whose goals are to advocate for and support competent Early Childhood systems for all children, especially the most vulnerable;
increase awareness of the importance of Early Childhood Development and of a qualified workforce;
be a leading Early Childhood network and learning community that promotes quality, equitable and integrated services for children, families and practitioners" (http://www.issa.nl/content/who-we-are).

Job Opportunities: I could not find any specific employment vacancies but I did find membership availability. To become a member with ISSA, one must choose between becoming a full member (voting rights) or  and affiliate member (non-voting rights).  ISSA invites non-profit organizations, academic and educational entities, foundations and associations with an interest in early childhood development to join as Full Members who have voting rights to all ISSA’s elected bodies and are encouraged to participate in the governance of the organization by voting for and serving on the Board, Program Committee, Membership Committee and other bodies. Affiliate Members (non-voting) is reserved for governmental bodies only and are encouraged to attend ISSA Council Meetings.

References

International Step-By-Step Association. (n.d.). Who We Are. Retrieved on May 13, 2016 from (http://www.issa.nl/content/who-we-are).

World Forum Foundation. (n.d.). About Us. Retrieved on May 13, 2016 from (https://worldforumfoundation.org/about-us/).

World Forum Foundation (2016). Global Leaders for Young Children. Retrieved on May 13, 2016 from (https://worldforumfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Global-Leaders-for-Young-Children-2016-18.pdf).

World Organization for Early Childhood Education. (2013). About OMEP. Retrieved on May 13, 2016 from (http://www.worldomep.org/en/about-omep-2/).



3 comments:

  1. Monique,
    I enjoyed reading about the organizations that you chose. The OMEP is very similar to the organizations that I chose as it 'defends and promotes the rights of the child to education and care'. The organizations that I was drawn to were also advocates for education, health, safety , and children's rights. Thank you for sharing!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being involved with NAEYC is a great way to learn more about the field of working with both children and teachers. I currently do a lot of training with them through my job as a Program Eval. I love it. I just recently became part of the organization myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique,

    I also choose OMEP this organization does something for the children that I love and that is promotes the rights of them.

    ReplyDelete