I communicate with certain individuals differently because my main focus when talking with those around me is to make them feel comfortable and understood. I have a lot of people whom confide in me because whatever that person tells me, I am not the one to judge nor the one to repeat what has been said. I always remain more of a listener than talker, which is one strategy that I can use to help me communicate more effectively with children, families, and colleagues from diverse backgrounds. Other strategies would be maintaining the Platinum Rule during conversation and continuously reminding myself to reflect on my tone of voice, my expressions, and other factors influencing my communication style.
A space for ideas, concepts, beliefs, and perspectives on educating early learners.
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Communication and Culture
When I think about the cultural diversity that I see in my neighborhood and workplace, I do find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. To the extent that most people that I know or associate with would consider me "quiet". At times, I am so overwhelmed with the thought of interacting with people different than me (in general) that I just choose to say nothing at all. I can have an opinion or be familiar with the topic of conversation but since I don't want to intrude on another's interaction...I ultimately just simply observe and listen. But, with my family or those that I'm close with experience my authenticity in different degrees. I tend to react to how others carry themselves. For example, when I am around my closest family members and my husband (who are very blunt and expressive), I am comfortable with being my true self. I speak differently, I express my feelings more passionately, and I don't have to hide the core of who I am. However, with family members that portray themselves as being more reserved, I will become more reserved when interacting with them. With colleagues in the workplace, I speak accordingly. This means I am more proper, selective in the conversations I chose to participate in, and maintain a certain professionalism in my tone and delivery.

I communicate with certain individuals differently because my main focus when talking with those around me is to make them feel comfortable and understood. I have a lot of people whom confide in me because whatever that person tells me, I am not the one to judge nor the one to repeat what has been said. I always remain more of a listener than talker, which is one strategy that I can use to help me communicate more effectively with children, families, and colleagues from diverse backgrounds. Other strategies would be maintaining the Platinum Rule during conversation and continuously reminding myself to reflect on my tone of voice, my expressions, and other factors influencing my communication style.
I communicate with certain individuals differently because my main focus when talking with those around me is to make them feel comfortable and understood. I have a lot of people whom confide in me because whatever that person tells me, I am not the one to judge nor the one to repeat what has been said. I always remain more of a listener than talker, which is one strategy that I can use to help me communicate more effectively with children, families, and colleagues from diverse backgrounds. Other strategies would be maintaining the Platinum Rule during conversation and continuously reminding myself to reflect on my tone of voice, my expressions, and other factors influencing my communication style.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Monique- love the picture you included. I am really beginning to focus on the non-verbal communication that is going on in a "conversation." Sometimes it is so easy to overlook non-verbal communication because it is not being overtly observed.
ReplyDeleteMonique,
ReplyDeleteIt is important that you recognize the ways you change your communication styles depending on the comfort of your conversation partner. I also think it's great that you feel comfortable listening, keeping the trust of those you are talking to, and do your best not to judge others based on what they are saying. If only more people had some of these characteristics, conversations would be much more fruitful and kind!
Meagan